Thursday, December 6, 2007

Reliability

Since no one wants to be a ding-a-ling about internet research, we all have to realize that everything on the web is not true. At least when I am looking up stuff on the internet, I try to get as much information from .gov, .org, and .edu websites as possible. Since that's not always possible, it's always a good idea to look up the same information in multiple places (so you can see if all the sites agree). While most teachers dislike wikipedia, most articles have a list of sources that is, in fact, very credible. So, if your teachers don't want you to credit wikipedia, just use the other websites that are listed at the bottom of the article!
While there is bound to be false information on the internet, I doubt anyone will revert to using purely textbooks for research. And if you find false information, part of the learning process is realizing your mistakes and correcting them. Nevertheless, be a wary researcher and don't believe everything you read!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Sandra,
I like what you said about how to site wikipedia without actually using wikipedia. About the .gov, .edu, .org, I'm not sure if that is true or not. I was told (and I'm not sure if this is true but the person who told me is usually reliable) that when you get your URL you can ask for any ending you want, that you don't actually have to be a school website or government ect. Again I'm not sure if this is true but I would be weary about those sites as well. Otherwise I thought your reasons were very valid.
-Jen

Julia said...

My favorite idea in here is using several different sources to see if the information matches up. I've found all too often that on especially recent or controversial issues, that information contradicts itself over and again, occasionally with no definitive correct source. Frustrating! Luckily, in this area of study, that happens less often; the worst was studying current events in history, when I couldn't even trust the .gov and .edu sites! Which brings the cultural bias into play- how can we even trust our credible sites if our cultural opinion could be false? I suppose, with such subjective matters, one would need to choose a side and argue subjectively from it. At least chemistry has absolutes!

And Jen's on the right track with the domain names, but you read about it in my blog! Luckily, the internet is regulated enough that we can trust some sites by name.

gealina said...

Agreed. Who wants to be a ding-a-ling? I'm not sure either about the .org thing... but usually .edu and .gov are more reliable. And I have no clue about https:// sites but I just know that they're secure. And secure usually means funded and funded means reliable. Usually.

James said...

Wikipedia!! Good call with using the sources cited by Wikipedia. Also, .gov and .edu sites are government and university sites so I assume that they would be more reliable than other sites, while .org not so much.