Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Organic stuff

So this time, I mostly researched farming. I learned a lot about pesticides, and some more natural alternatives. It's definitely a good thing that organic farming has increased in popularity, because there are some really bad effects of pesticides. There are definitely many benefits of pesticides, because they protect the contamination of our food, but organic farming has even better methods of growing safe food. Organic farming is not perfectly safe, but it is a better alternative to the chemical methods that most farmers have gotten used to. Hopefully, organic growing methods will continue to increase in popularity so less pollutants can be added to our environment.
Since I researched so much on farming for this blog, I have decided to split my topic into a few different categories. Farming will obviously be one category, but I also want to learn about how food gets to our supermarkets (or wherever you buy your food). So I hope to have one or two other categories about packaging, processing, and any other steps between the farm and our table. I hope I find some interesting information!

And Mrs. V., i commented on Julia, Jen, and Laura's blogs.

3 comments:

Always Wear Your Safety Goggles said...

Since I started taking APES, I've also been interested in food processing and what sorts of steps are involved. I will be keeping an eye on your research to learn some new things. Are you planning on looking at a certain type of food like meat or veggies or something? Or just everythig in general?

Jen said...

Sandra-
I checked the Rb video and it works on my computer. Maybe try it again or try a different computer. If that doesn't work the website is also on my research links called alkali reactions with water...maybe you'll have better luck going directly through the site :)

gealina said...

Yaaay Sandra!Well don't pesticides have their own benefits? Klemen's mom came and talked to us about that stuff... like they don't really go INTO the food do they? And they protect the food from rotting too quickly or insects from eating them.

I'm just being the devil's advocate here. :) But this is interesting!