Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Other interesting blogs

The first blog I visited was Amanda’s. She explained the complex lactic acid process that occurs when we exert our muscles. I was really surprised that hydrogen ions are essential to the process, and when they leave, our muscles become acidic. They start hurting because of this acidity, but are not the cause of soreness the day after a difficult workout.

Next, I read Zach’s blog about stem cells. I learned that stem cells are known as “universal cells” and have many functions, which include the growth of organs and the curing of diseases. Although there are many benefits, stem cells are also difficult to work with because they must meet certain criteria.

Finally, I read James’ blog about nanotechnology. I was surprised to learn that nanoparticles can destroy cancer cells and are also used in some sun-screens. Unfortunately, these particles have settled in the brains of rats and could potentially be harmful.

Each of the sites I visited was very interesting, and I hope to learn even more about each topic! Chemistry is certainly a wide-ranging subject considering it is essential in all of the subjects that each member of the class is reasearching.

No comments: